ACCOUNTS Data Entry
- You can enter transactions via chequebook register-style windows, the special-purpose Write Cheques, Enter Deposits and Credit Card Charges windows, or a journal entry window.
- You can set up vendors, enter bills for later payment, and pay those bills through separate special-purpose windows. (This is an "Accounts Payable" module.)
- Sales tax codes can be defined, linked to sales tax accounts. Selecting a sales tax code as part of a transaction entry does an automatic split of the transaction amount, to give the correct amounts to those linked sales tax accounts.
- You can import bank deposits exported from Software4Nonprofits
DONATION (which is for tracking donors and donations and issuing receipts).
- ACCOUNTS prints 15 different reports on your financial situation, with more to come.
- It allows you to export reports to various file formats, such as PDF, Excel and CSV (comma-separated value).
- You can customize reports with revised sorting and filtering.
- Customized reports can be memorized for later re-use.
- You can print cheques on standard 3-part voucher check stock.
Other ACCOUNTS Software Features
- ACCOUNTS has context-sensitive help and a full manual online.
- It uses a powerful open source SQL-based Firebird database, and thus the data can be accessed for other purposes (with appropriate tools).
- It can be used to store the accounting for multiple organizations on the same computer.
- It has simple options to backup all of your data to a local drive (preferably a USB memory key), and to restore such backups. Those backups can also optionally be followed by an encrypted backup to a secure Internet location, and those Internet backups can be restored.
- It lets you send encrypted database backups to yourself or a colleague by email, and restore those backups.
- It reminds you to do backups of your database weekly, or at a frequency of your choosing.
- Backups are not required for the Web Network Version - they are made for you automatically.
- While the program is entirely in English, limited entry of accents and characters for foreign languages should be possible.
- Dates and currency are displayed in your regional format, as defined in Windows Control Panel's Regional settings.
ACCOUNTS Software Limitations / Requirements
- It is probably best suited to small to mid-sized organizations, because many larger organizations might want a more full-featured and customizable program.
- It runs under all recent versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 or Windows Server 2003 or later
(on 32 or 64-bit computers).
- It is possible to use it successfully on a Mac using programs such as Parallels (which allows you to run Windows programs on a Mac). However, we cannot support any problems that are specific to using it on a Mac.
- It requires your screen properties to be set to 1024 x 600 or higher, with Normal size Fonts selected in your Display settings, or to 1024 x 768 or higher, if you are using Large size Fonts. This program will not work on a 800 x 600 display, because there would be insufficient room for some of the program's windows.
What Doesn't ACCOUNTS Do?
ACCOUNTS is not trying to have all of the features of mass-market accounting programs. Rather, it is focussed on supplying special features (especially fund accounting) that will be of benefit to small to mid-sized churches, charities and other nonprofits, and enough other features to make it usable by a reasonable percentage of those organizations.
ACCOUNTS does not have an inventory module, for tracking inventory that you have on hand. (Most smaller nonprofits don't sell things, and thus don't need to track inventory.)
ACCOUNTS does not have an Accounts Receivable module, which would be used for tracking customers (e.g. if you had associated businesses), entering invoices you issue, entering payments against those invoices, etc.
Of course, there is nothing stopping you from entering transactions directly against an Accounts Receivable account in your chart of accounts.
ACCOUNTS does not do payroll calculations. As a tiny business, it is unfortunately not realistic for Cooperstock Software / Software4Nonprofits to learn and keep up with all of the payroll rules for each major country we sell to (the U.S.A. and Canada), not to mention differences by state and province within those countries.
What we do instead, for those organization that require payroll, is recommend affordable online 3rd-party payroll systems. Each of the systems we recommend has the ability to export a file containing either summary or individual transactions for one payroll, which can be imported into ACCOUNTS.
See the Recommended Products and Services page for our specific recommendations.
There is no support for having different accounts (e.g. bank accounts) in different currencies in ACCOUNTS. So it is not recommended to use it if you have such accounts that you need to track for your organization, because everything will be treated as being of the same value (no exchange rates are taken into account).
Upcoming ACCOUNTS Software Features
See the Product Roadmap page for a list of
planned and possible features to be added to ACCOUNTS.